Episode 2: The Story of Me, Part II—The School Years
For Part II of this four-part podcast prologue, we return to the school years. It’s a life experience most people can relate to—good or bad—in large part because of the amount of time spent.
If you’re in your mid-20s and graduated from a four-year college or university, there’s a fair chance that you’ve spent almost one-third of your life waiting for some sort of bell to ring.
(You can do the math—[(# of semesters attended *~70 days per college semester)+(# of years spent in primary education*~180 days per primary school year) / [(# of years on Earth * 365 days of the year)]])*
So for this episode, I went back to school. I’ve interviewed long-time friends and folks that I haven’t spoken to in a long-time. I reached out to professors, classmates and foes. And a high-school coach who once taught Ralph Macchio—the Karate Kid.
How much have I changed? What did people think of me? Do people even remember who I am?
*P.S. You should know I’m bad at math, so if the above formula is suspect, please tweet it out. And then share the episode with everyone you know.
2. [03:38] Dix Hills, Long Island [Wikipedia, 2015]
3. [04:32] Half Hollow Hills High School West [U.S. News, 2013]
5. [10:00] More on Mario
6a. ^^^ This was the song I listened to before I broke my five-minute mile
7. [12:08] On Ralph Macchio [USA Today, 2014]
7a. Coach Finn was Mr. Macchio’s health teacher at one point
11. [16:45] Stony Brook Fight Song
12. [17:03] What’s a Seawolf? Still unclear.
13. [17:35] Stony Brook University [Wikipedia, 2015]
14. [18:16] U.S. News Review 1942, Issue No. 3
16. [19:20] “SS Marschiert in Feindesland”
17. [21:00] More on the history of cakewalking. [NPR, 2013]
18a. ^^^FYI, this is a Nazi propaganda song
22. [26:20] Newspapers, Behind the Scenes, 1970
23. [26:50] The Stony Brook Press
24. [27:20] “A Tale of Two Cities”
26. [29:00] The Story of The Press
27. [30:40] @RossBarkan
29. [36:50] @CarolinaHidalgo