Ep. 13 — Keeping the Faith: When There Was Terror [Part II of II]
When it comes to the conversation of Islam in America, it can sometimes feel like having a debate where both parties talk over one another, dive into the shallow end of the topic and leave thinking they’ve proved their points—trophies for all.
This self-perpetuating social filter bubble of sorts absolves accountability and fogs up facts—it clouds up the reality of what many Muslim communities in America have actually gone through and are going through.
No place has had it worse than Dar-al-Hijrah, a northern Virginia mosque that sits right outside the nation’s capital. First there was peace. Then there was 9/11. And then there was terror.
This is the story of how one mosque and its community has spent the past 15 years at the intersection of faith, terrorism and liberty.
1. [02:25] Fort Hood shooting coverage (ABC News)
2. [02:30] Explosions at the Boston Marathon (The Boston Globe)
3. [02:30] Boston Marathon bombing coverage (WBZ TV)
4. [02:40] Chattanooga shooting coverage (CBS News)
5. [02:50] San Bernadino shooting coverage (NBC News)
6. [03:00] Orlando shooting coverage (ABC News)
7. [03:05] St. Cloud stabbing coverage (WCCO TV)
8. [03:10] Chelsea explosion coverage (Fox News)
9. [03:25] Presidential Candidate Donald J. Trump speech in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina (CSPAN)
11. [06:45] Richard Bulliet, Professor at Columbia University
13. [07:35] Light reading on the Qu’ran
14. [07:40] Light reading on the Hadith (ICRAA.org)
15. [07:55] Additional reading on the Sunni-Shia divide (NPR)
16. [08:00] Light reading on Abu Bakr, the first Caliph
17. [08:10] Light reading on Ali, the Prophet Muhammad’s cousin
19. [10:00] The spread of Sufism (Oxford Islamic Studies)
21. [15:45] More on Dr. Esam Omeish (NPR)
23. [19:10] More on Imam Johari Abdul Malik (The Washington Post)
24. [20:20] Light reading on Hamas
25. [20:30] “American Accused in a Plot to Assassinate Bush” (The New York Times)
26. [20:35] Light reading on the Virginia Jihad Network (The Washington Post)
27. [21:35] More on Michael German, Former FBI Agent
30. [23:40] President Bush signing the PATRIOT Act into law (CSPAN)
32. [26:45] FBI’s biased counterterrorism training (Wired.com)
34. [33:05] Light reading on Lakshar-e-Taiba
36. [34:00] More on Benkahla’s court recap (Leagle.com)
38. [36:50] Article on Benkahla’s sentencing (Associated Press)
40. [40:35] Dr. Omeish’s resignation from Immigration panel discussed on Fox News
41. [41:05] Shaker Elsayed, the Attorney’s office of the Eastern District of Virginia and George Washington University Center for Cyber and Homeland Security declined to be interviewed for this story. Representative Peter King’s office never responded back.
42. [41:40] Light reading on Shaker Elsayed
43. [41:55] Shaker statement’s brought up on Fox News
44. [42:30] Shaker on CSPAN shortly after 9/11
47. [46:00] President Obama on Awlaki’s death (Associated Press)
49. [49:50] Related fact check on number of those killed by terrorist attacks (Politfact)
51. [52:30] Related: “The Confused Person’s Guide to the Middle East” (The Atlantic)
55. [59:57] Light reading on the people at Badr